Watching The Wheels

Friday, July 17, 2009

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek


I have waited to write this after the hoopla of the opening of J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek, because it would just get lost in the frenzy. I absolutely loved this movie and, as a Star Trek fan for over 35 years I can honestly say this: aside from Star Trek: The Motion Picture, this is the only real Star Trek film made. The Wrath of Khan began the dumbing down of Star Trek for shallow people.

Before Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry died, he said that he wished that someone would take up the story (I refuse to use the word franchise). J.J. Abrams has shown his genius with Lost and Fringe, probably two of the best television shows of all time. The casting for the new Star Trek could not have been better. Karl Urban in particular was a joy to watch. I just wish Simon Pegg had more screen time.

It’s time that this concept of Star Trek to do what it was meant to do: smart, thought provoking and fun entertainment.

Like I said, I have been a Star Trek fan for over 35 years. This is the absolute best I have seen. Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine and the rest have supplanted my original visions of the crew. They were all that good.

That being said, I didn’t intend for this to be a review. I have been reading a lot about the sequel being planned. I have strong feelings about this. I have a couple things to actually beg the script writers NOT to do:

No Klingons. No Khan. No more crossovers. And PLEASE, no Shatner.

Copyright 2009 by Andrew T. Durham

No comments:

Post a Comment