Watching The Wheels

Saturday, November 19, 2011

What Means Anything?

I've recently been thinking of things that we, as human beings, ascribe meaning to. Which has also forced me to contemplate the complete fallacy of it. There are those that say "There is a reason for everything", when I would counter, "There is a meaning for everything, depending on the individual."

For instance, I had occasion to be in New York City recently and, while I was waiting for my bus, I happened into a restaurant for come coffee. There I discovered the waitress/bartender was from Rochester, NY, a city I love and have spent many years in. Because it was Veterans Day, some USO women came in and I discovered that two of them were from a suburb of Rochester, and that one's husband went to a college in Rochester.

Coincidence? That's a word I don't believe in. Everything that happens, without exception, has meaning or does not have meaning, depending on the person to which said events occur.

Do I ascribe this to a deity? I don't know. But the magic of not knowing is what keeps it all going.

Copyright 2011 by Andrew T. Durham

No comments:

Post a Comment